Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg


Ellie's son Roger is out from San Francisco ( we switched places as he is a New York native) and Ellie had me over for dinner. It was a wonderful visit as always and it was great to see Roger again. I love that Ellie was in her housedress and I took my shoes off and Roger wore a raincoat to the dinner table. The conversation was as interesting. What a great night.

We finished off with viewing of the Les parapluies de Cherbourg (Umbrellas of Cherbourg) starring a very young and beautiful Catherine Deneuve and directed by Jacques Demy. I had never seen it before but both Ellie and Roger had seen it 100s of times. Very interesting flick. It is sung through and I was sad when Roger said Catherine didn't do her own singing. Probably the Marni Nixon of France did it! Quelle I don't know what!

Anyway it was a perfect choice on such a rainy night.

Merci Ellie et Roget!!!

1 comment:

Criticlasm said...

That movie is so amazing--it's so joyful and then so melancholy. So French!! CD was so beautiful--did you love that moment when her mother sings "You look awful" and the audience is like "huh? she looks amazing". Wonderful