Thursday, October 22, 2009

Avenue of the Strongest

Coming upon some interesting sights and smells and places here in the City Hall area as I do my jury duty. I saw this "Avenue of the Strongest" street and took a snap of the sign. Not a great pick, but I thought "What the hell is that?"

It is named after New York's Sanitation workers.

"The word 'strongest' has to do with the fact that the members of our department make 13,000 tons of garbage and 2,200 tons of recycling disappear each day," said Lucien Chalfen, a spokesperson for the city's Department of Sanitation.

1 comment:

Amanda Davenport said...

I saw you speak at the Campus Cheer meeting a while ago and asked you for your blog url. I've checked it out a few times and I like it! I love doing touristy stuff in NYC too. Keep up the good work. You brighten my day :)

Amanda
I'm getting an M.A. in education so my blog isn't as fun as yours, but you can check it out if you want.
http://amandadavenport.com