Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Monogehala Incline

First order of business after lunch on my first day in Pittsburgh was a trip up to Mt. Washington on the Monogehala Incline. One of the oldest and steepest funiculars (funiculi?) in the United States. We didn't know quite how to get there so I asked this guy in the street. He said, "It's this way. I'll show you."

And we walked and walked. And I said to him, "It is really nice of you, but I don't want you to go to all the trouble to take us there. You can just point us in the direction."

He pulled back his jacket to show us the insignia on his shirt. He is the mechanic for the incline and was on his way to work!

He name is Dave and he couldn't have been nicer. He and Marian are both Polish and spoke in Polish. I loved it.

Dave and Marian, two Pittsburgh Poles.

One of the outlooks atop Mt. Washington. Incredible views of the city and the three rivers. We met people from the Bay Area and New York up there!

Marian and his city! I am thrilled beyond words to have this photo.
Coffee cup as prop. I am here! I am really here!

No comments: