Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

Saw Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" at a 3-D screening at the DGA tonight.  I have to say Tim has not pleased me so much lately.  It was beautiful as all his films are, but I was just restless and a bit bored.  C'mon already Alice and the the Queen of Hearts and all of you, let's have a battle!  Hurry!   I need some action.  Something to get into.   Yes, you are very pretty to look at but my giant pocketwatch suggests time is passing! Hurry!



But this is the same guy who did "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" and "A Nightmare Before Christmas" and "Edward Scissorhands" and the much underrated "Big Fish" and for these I will be forever grateful.

I was reminded of one of my favorite movies, "Dreamchild."  This is about an 80 year old Alice who travels to New York to celebrate Lewis Carroll's centenary.  It stars the amazing Coral Browne and was written by one of my fave screenwriters, Dennis Potter.  Wow. Excellent film. All about memory.

2 comments:

Criticlasm said...

Agreed--you can see my thoughts here _
http://criticlasm.blogspot.com/2010/03/alice-in-wonderland.html

And I'll check out the other - sounds much more amazing.

John in Long Beach said...

I love that movie too! Jim Henson did some very beautiful work with a few of the characters too. Coral Browne (wife of Vincent Price) is so great, and a far way from Vera Charles.