Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Tale of Two Boroughs.

I have often said that my life in New York is like a back lot musical. Just so full of images and color and excitement. Truly. And no one really works in musicals (at least during the big dance numbers unless they are vendors or barbers, right?) so it all fits.

I alight from my amazing 1892 brownstone and open the front door to balloon vendors walking their wares down my street. ("Who will buy?")
My plan was to walk all the way down the Hudson River walkway to the Village to meet Frank and Pat. This takes longer than you think and even longer when you add in huge production numbers! It was clear I was not going to make it on time. But that walk is full of birds, and willow trees and cyclists and people having coffee. It is friggin' amazing that I am here and this is New York City. It is so "reclaimed marshland" -like, not urban decay trendy.

I cut over to take the subway around 42nd Street and happened upon the Broadway Flea Market where all the Broadway shows have booths and old playbills are sold, etc. Fun.



The two circled are 2 of the 4 stars of "[title of show]" that I saw recently. The guy is also one of the creators. They were all really good.

I made it the Village and we went out to a new place for brunch. There is a LOT of brunch in the Village on Sundays. People are doin' it everywhere. It is clear there needs to be a number inserted here about brunch.

Pat lives in Queens in the Jackson Heights neighborhood. We have always been threatening to do "Queens Tours" (or at least I have) and I throw it out to Pat and he bites!! I feel an Act break coming on.

Subway to Jackson Heights. Chug-chug-chug...

Pat has a great apartment there in a 1930's building. Loads O space and a bed on the floor (this I notice as I am still in a sleeping loft - bed on floor is a new goal like running a marathon or learning to knit may be for others.) He shows me around the neighborhood. It used to be Irish and Jewish (and what didn't?) and now it is Dominican and Indian mostly. This is the part in the musical where the music takes on a decidedly ethnic edge. I feel a "lovers from different backgrounds meeting" vibe.


"Pat is his 'tat" (habitat) Cute captions only work if you don't have to explain them...
We see the Indian markets and the amazing jewelry stores and all the lovely chaos. It was a great day and I hope to go back to have a gastro tour when we are not full on egg whites and cilantro from the Village brunching. ( I SO lie. I had the Lumberjack Breakfast.)





I leave Pat and head back to the UWS and have to shake my head as if it was all a lazy, lovely dream.

No comments: