Saturday, September 20, 2008

Starbucks, My Captain


It was first told to me by Starbucks. I went in the other day in my shorts and tennies and there was a sign: "Pumpkin Spice Lattes." Pumpkin spice lattes?! It is friggin' summer. Just like ladies' hemlines dictate the economy, I guess Starbucks is the bellwether of the seasons. If they say it is Autumn, then dammit, it is Autumn.


And sure enough. The next day is was cool. I was in jeans and a sweatshirt. Thanks, Starbucks! You KNEW AIG and Lehmann were going to tank, didn't you? What kind of hot beverage did you use to announce that?


I arrived on these Eastern shores a year ago in one week's time. I was all ready for the sweaters and the patched elbows and root veg, but all the New Yorkers were walking around in shorts and tank tops and Central Park was a virtual beach! Now Starbucks has told me this year "Nah, nah, it is time for pumpkin spice lattes so get with it."


I have now shut my window for the first time in months and put another blanket on my bed. I know it does not matter if I am "ready" or not, but change is exciting...and hard. My slacker, "freelance" SoCal self loves the shorts and sandals life, but I am also a really "bundly" guy who loves layers and wearing maternity clothes, so Fall is a better "fit" for my body image issues!


Autumn, come and take me!


Thank you Starbucks. I will pay attention to your board for more seasonal, economic and social indicators in the near future.


I have to say, Starbucks, I pray I will be taking my coffee black using Kenyan beans in November and there will not be any "Full of Beans Moose Milk Lattes" on your magic chalkboard.

No comments: