Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Blindness


I read "Blindness: by José Saramago a few years ago in my wonderful bookclub in Los Angeles. I will be grateful to that club for the wonderful friendships, opportunities and literary exposure it gave me. The book was a powerful allegory about war, government tyranny, modern-day epidemic and man's propensity/potential for goodness.

I went to the screening of the film version last night with Ron at the AMC Lincoln Square. The director, Fernando Meirelles and stars Julianne Moore, Mark Ruffalo and Danny Glover were there too. This film got kinda PANNED at Cannes, but I have to say that I liked it for the most part. It did the emotional trick for me. I was horrified, moved and I clenched! And Juilanne Moore is always watchable for me. I cannot say the same for Mark Ruffalo or Danny Glover, I am afraid. I find them replacement actors oftentimes for others who have turned down the roles they got. Ouch! The director is cute as a button. My new type: Brazilian film directors with goofy smiles and Scorsese glasses.

Ron and I went out to an Italian restaurant by my house afterwards and had a good dinner. We split the salad and the lamb tartar. His brother dropped by like we were in some small town and he was the sheriff, but it was a pleasure to meet him and I seem to love Manhattan as a tiny hamlet of baker, butcher, candlestick maker.

It was a good, good night. The kind I hear other people have often and I had it and I loved it.

No comments: