Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Brunch That Happened.

Almost a year ago I met Pat, Frank and Sean. They have been touchstones, support and good pals since I landed on these shores. I feel like they were assigned to me once I arrived and I feel so blessed for their friendship and neverending judgement, I mean, encouragement.


(Frank, Pat, Sean, Pat)


I have wanted to have them to brunch since the weather got nice. That was my VISION. Well the weather got nice a million years ago this summer and finally today I arranged to have them come to brunch at my Upper Westside pad with outdoor terrace that screams to be brunched upon. VISION only happens when you let others in on it and make it happen, I found out.



Now this is livin' : What a great time with food and friends. And a terrace in New York City. And bagels with all the fixin's.


My lovely houseguest and food assistant, Alexandra, resting from charming boys.


Alexandra and I put together a bagels and lox and fresh fruit and coffee and babka brunch that only two New York Jews would put together. Wait, neither of us is a New York Jew, but we love it as if we were!

[I think I have to stop and say this is one of my death row meals:

everything bagel, smoked salmon, capers, cream cheese, red onion, tomato, squeeze fresh lemon, cracked fresh pepper. SUUUUu-blime.]

It was so much fun to entertain and I wish I did it more often. I adore these guys partly because they warrant it and partly because they read this blog.

The conversation went all the directions that I love: sex, politics, religion, theatre, and fashion.

After the boys left, Alexandra and I took naps and collected ourselves for our evening plans!

Alexandra went to drama school in London with Paul and Simone and Barbara was their vocal coach. Well, Paul and Simone are a couple of 21plus years who just got married in California and now live and work in New York. Barbara is over from London because she is Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter)'s vocal coach for his Broadway debut in "Equus." The poor guy is mobbed daily she told us. They have security gaurds when she and he get driven to the theatre every day.

I was worried about being able to hold my own against theatre people (trust me, even for someone as chatty and hand-gestury as I, it is really hard.), but they were all so lovely and gracious and I have to say it was one of the most global, educated, unpretentious, intelligent conversations I have had in a long while. Barbara and Alexandra are English, I am American, Simone is French-Canadian, and Paul is South African. And we all broke sushi rice together in New York City.

We met for dinner at this (and to the 1.5 New Yorkers who read this write this down) amazingly wonderful and affordable sushi place. The best sushi I have had in NYC so far. It is called Tenzan and is on Columbus at 73rd. A total find in my hood.

Barbara, Simone, Paul and Alexandra. Of course the Yank knows the importance of having photographic memories!

After the meal we strolled along Columbus on this warm summer evening and saw Dustin Hoffman walk by with his wife and daughter.


This day was truly a great, great day indeed.

No comments: