Sunday, September 28, 2008

Pat Turns One


I awake from my slumber in room 120 at the Comfort Inn in Bethlehem, PA. After yesterday morning I am a seasoned waffle maker and I look forward to making another bad boy to sit in stomach all day.

Let's just cut to the chase. Today it is PISSING rain. It looks like a simulation tank for playing in Scotland. Wet, wet, wet. We head to the field for two more contest, but this time with Inverness capes on.

It would have been a total groundhog day of yesterday except the grass is turning to mud and it is generally as comfortable as putting on a wet bathing suit. Blecch.


One drowned, but happy, rat.


By the time we are tuned up and reading to march into formation in front of the judges for our first contest of the day it is LASHING rain. We are out there in capes, but my glen and my arms are soaked. Why not just enter a tug-o-war event on the muddy field afterwards? We couldn't get any filthier. It is a laundry commercial out there now.


Huddled under one of the marquee tents we wait. The whole rest of the day including our last contest is cancelled. Time to get out of muddy, wet stinky wool and pack it away.


I had this brill idea to make lemonade out of the day and asked someone to shoot "publicity stills" of me that I can use to start a piping business in Manhattan. She did a great job, but I forgot to tie my tie!!! Argggghhh!

One of the surprises for me here was my freind Kenny was here from Glasgow. He is one of the owners of MacCallum Bagpipes. We played in bands together in Scotland and California. Wow, it was good to see him.


Kenny and me. Many years, Many stories.

Oh, but the whole point of the title of this entry is nothing about piping or Pennsylvannia, etc. It is about today I have lived in New York for one year. That is something, eh? And I am still happy here. I am still engaged here. I love it here. I look forward to year two.

Since I am in PA and in pipes, maybe I will blog my thoughts about this tomorrow.

I went over Ron's tonight to celebrate. That was good and wise. I have to say that there is a whole OTHER blog I could write about life outside the Manhattan bubble for me. Esp. during these polarizing times. Ohmmmmmm.

No comments: