Saturday, September 27, 2008

Oh Steel Town of....

Today was our first contest, or my first contest with the band. We played a parade through the town of Bethlehem first. What a beautiful setting for a games. It is of course a former steel town (SEE: Outsourcing) and has all the beautiful homes and worker's homes that would go with such an industry town. I have no idea what they do now for money. But then I have no idea what I do now for money! I digress-- There are amazing 18th century houses in the center of town. I was awed by this place. But apparently not enough to take pictures of the lovely arches, and spires and bridges and old stone buildings. Wikipedia the place!

The wee folk leading marching with our banner.

I have to say Drum Corps are always cooler than pipe corps.
Today we played two competitions, an March Strathspey and Reel competition ( equivalent of "compulsories" in ice skating) and a Medley contest (like the freestyle skating, but without a bad Bette Midler ballad). We played okay. Not great, but it was okay.

This is the kind of event where you plain just never go home. After the massed bands, the fun continues in these GINORMOUS marquee tents that have long tables and chairs and loads of amazing folk bands. I am in my element. I got the band to come and listen to the Tannahill Weavers, this great band from Scotland. I couldn't believe they were even here. My Calicentric attitude just didn't think PA had it in them. But they do. This is a big deal event which is free to the public and huge crowds come.
The Tannahill Weavers
Irish dancers have way bigger hair back here! Yikes. I wish you could see it up close. Downright flamable!
Brian and TommyFlo's dad buys her a beer. He was a proud pappa and rightfully so. She played great.Megan, Margaret, Pat and Eddie at concert.

I was told that this was the first year in record it ever rained and I am the only difference in the ranks. Hmmmm?


Fun night.

When Brian rescues a stranger's sandal from hight atop the jumbo tent, it is time to go home. A whole story in itself.

No comments: