Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The US Opened to ME!!

Ever since I was knee high to a whatever I have watched tennis. Wimbledon and Forest Hills (now Flushing) were always places on television to me and today thanks to a lovely birthday gift from my friend Ron, I got to go to the US Open. The US Friggin' Open! I was there. I was part of it. It is what WE NEW YORKERS DO!! Ha! I am still so tickled I can't stand it.


The grounds are most definitely like the Vatican of Tennis. It is a walled city in there with all things tennis. There are giant jumbo trons in the open eating areas and people queue at the various courts to wait for a pause to go in and see a match. How can I truly express my excitement at being there? I do not know. It is like describing a sunset. But I was there. I heard the scuffle of the tennis shoes on the court, I saw the ball boys and girls in the Ralph Lauren clothes do their thing. And the fans and the players from all over the world.
Can you even believe this!?!!

We sat through singles matches and doubles matches and I just enjoyed every moment. It was amazing how close we got in some arenas. Arthur Ashe Stadium requires a different ticket, but some day!


I took the #7 from 42nd Street out to Flushing with Jay and we met Ron there. When we took a lunch break we sat with a father and son from Minnesota. The son went to the rival high school's of Jay's in Minnesota. The son was applying to UCLA and USC. I told him that I went to UCLA. His sister lives with her husband in Noe Valley in San Francisco where I used to live. It was a great lunch and a funny small world conversation. Plus it was so great to see a father take his son on a trip like this. Wow, what a gift.

Ron and I stayed past nightfall and left after the mixed doubles were over. If the gods are kind and I get over this cold I now have I am going back on Sunday!!!

No comments: