Saturday, August 2, 2008

O.G. RIP


Chuck and Jay count out for the last time.


The superstars with the final diners.


Good to the last drop. Ron, Chuck and Jay

My dear and good friend Ron's place of employment for the last 5 years shuttered tonight. A very East Village mainstay is no longer staying, A sign o the times? A change of pace? Dunno exactly. The owner has decided to close and open up a whole new and different (younger?) venture that does not include Ron, Chuck or Jay, the faithful and profssional and beloved stalwarts of the wait and greeting staff. And these much-loved boys were heralded tonight by a packed house of faithful clientele there to say goodbye and hopefully find out where to follow.

Ron suggested we all come down and book a 10pm seating and be what we were, the final customers at OG Restaurant in the East Village.

In this rare occassion, I hadn't initially made it all about me, but then I realized for the last 5 years when I would come to New York I always loved meeting Ron there or bringing friends there and hanging out for a great meal and a good time there. It has been a place for me too. It has in a much smaller, but heartfelt way, been part of my life as well and I will miss it. I always delighted in my "same time next year" friendship with Chuck and Jay. Let's be honest, once it closes it ain't never the same. It just ain't.

Wow, I did manage to make it about me. Yipes. Moving on...

Gillian, Nicole, Rick, Shawn and myself converged and just had a lovely, lovely last meal with the boys. Ron poured champagne and wine and wine and wine. I was quite full on the bubbly - water that is. I was a Pelligrino man all night and that was racy enough for me. It was such a good time and a good laugh.

I thank Ron, and Jay and Chuck for all the years and good times there.

No comments: