Saturday, August 16, 2008

Piping in the Park

Carlita.org

When I first moved to New York I thought, "Where do New York pipers practice?" I knew not to even try in my apartment. Then I noticed this giant park right by me called Central. I went over there and found a little lane and that is where I play. I love my bench and my rock and the trees that provide shade.

At first, because I was there to practice, I was a bit annoyed by people gathering or asking me "how hard are they to play?" (very, BTW) But now I realize what a gift it is to ME. Not only do I get to play in front of people which, for nerves, is an excellent exercise, but I get to meet all sorts of people from all over. How friggin' great is that? WHO gets to do that? And I bring people joy and amusement. Who gets to do that?

Today I met

1. A grandma out with her grandson and granddaughter. The kids were waiting for their mom to have twins in the hospital nearby. They didn't know if they would have two sisters or two brothers or one of each, but they both were excited to be big sister and big brother to whatever mom put out that day.

2. A father and his two strapping sons. Bill, Bill, Jr. and Randy from Memphis. Randy had pipes at his wedding and they followed the sound across the park to find me. They were all so Southern polite and introduced themselves, etc.

3. A mother, father and son who also followed the sound. The son just got back from the Tattoo in Edinburgh. I posed for photos.

4. A mom, grandma and wee grandson. The grandson had just finished a red, white and blue rocket Popsicle and was covered in what looked like watercolor paint! He told me it was a Popsicle and it was really good.

5. Sam, from Minsk, Belarus. He came to New York when he was 8 and he is now 82 years old. He stays young by walking his two giant dogs around the reservoir every day. He one dog, Max, barked with joy when I played. We did a sort of duet. It was fun. Sam went to UC Berkeley where my whole family save me went.

I usually play with my case open on a bench so I can get stuff I need and I never put it out anywhere to get tips, but today on a quiet lane with no intention I made $12! Wow.
So life is odd. Life doesn't go the way I want it sometimes, but life gives me joy so often if I just pay good attention...

No comments: