Saturday, August 23, 2008

Michael "Bo" Bowman 9/24/68 -7/9/08


There was a Celebration of Life for my friend Bo tonight. At Tavern on the Green in Central Park no less. Bo died last month of Necrotizing Fasciitis. He died from a blister on his foot that was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He never saw 40. It seems so hard to believe. In fact it is hard to believe. I feel he was just getting started. He had a job he loved, a partner he loved and new apartment with an amazing view of New York City he loved and he was so very, very loved by so many, many people.

We were new friends. I met him at the beginning of October last year when I first arrived in New York City. Our mutual friend Brad in Los Angeles gave me his number and said to call. I did. He and his partner Andy had just bought an apartment in the sky and had just moved in. He invited me up that evening of my phone call sight unseen. I liked him and Andy instantly. I had a great evening looking out at the view over the unpacked boxes. Bo had just made New York City a little smaller, a little warmer, a little more possible for me.

I had a hard time wrapping my head around a "Celebration of Life" for someone who was not 70 or 80 years of age. If someone dies at 39 it is a tragedy and should be mourned. But this celebration with remembrances and songs and photos and LOVE was exactly right. I was wrong. Bo is gone whether I think it is right or fair or ridiculous. So his life here is over and what he did here needed to be celebrated.

The Celebration was held in this over the top room that was like a greenhouse with clear windows looking out onto the lush Tavern gardens festooned with 100s of lanterns. Inside there were giant, ornate chandeliers of all colours everywhere. It was the winter palace from Dr. Zhivago mixed with a little gaiety. I liked being there with all these people.

I told Bo's mom later that though I had only known him 10 months I knew exactly what all his near and dear meant when they said that Bo loved celebrating peoples' creativity and how he wanted people to do well, how he wanted them to know what he loved and what excited him. They talked about how he often had a hard road figuring out how to manage his exuberant energy, but how he kept at it. And how he was so happy settling down with Andy. I felt all that from Bo.

He seemed to be always concerned about my flaking skin on my face and really pushed moisturizing. Once I had a job interview and Bo asked if he could come to my apartment and give me a facial. He did just that with all his gear in tow including blow dryer for a hot oil treatment. I still have the bottle of vitamin E oil that he gave me. Somehow I think I will always be inspired by vitamin E.

I have been blessed so HUGELY since coming to New York City and a gift I received early on I thought would grow and expand, but now I feel I have to take Bo and bottle him and use him sparingly and be inspired by of him often.

Goodnight, my new pal. And thank you for loving me in a way that I had not earned yet. Thank you for taking me in to Bo's world. I will miss you and I wish selfishly and longingly that we could have had more adventures in NYC together. But your pixie dust has been sprinkled and I am a grateful recipient of the glow it makes when the light hits it.
Here is the poem they read for Bo tonight:
In Blackwater Woods

Look, the trees
are turning
their own bodies
into pillars

of light,are giving off the rich
fragrance of cinnamon
and fulfillment,

the long tapers
of cattails
are bursting and floating away over
the blue shoulders

of the ponds,
and every pond,
no matter what its
name is, is

nameless now.
Every year
everything
I have ever learned

in my lifetime
leads back to this: the fires
and the black river of loss
whose other side

is salvation,
whose meaning
none of us will ever know.
To live in this world

you must be able
to do three things:
to love what is mortal;
to hold it

against your bones knowing
your own life depends on it;
and, when the time comes to let it go,
to let it go.

Mary Oliver, New and Selected Poems

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI - I'm Susan, Andy's sister. I'm pretty sure I met you the night before Bo's party at their home. Thank you for wrtiting about Bo on your site. I love him and think about him everyday. I think there are many of us out there who miss Bo daily. Thanks for keeping his memory alive!

Anonymous said...

I just found out about Bo's passing. I knew him at Vassar where he was a unique character with a great energy and joie de vivre, and a person everyone loved. In searching for his obituary to see what happened to Bo, I came across your blog. This was a very nice tribute to a special person. And, as someone scheduled to immigrate from LA to Manhattan next week, I have been reading your other posts with great interest. Bo has brought you something else, even in after his passing: a new, interested reader. Good luck to you, mate!

Anonymous said...

I also just learned of Bo's passing, knew him at Vassar, and was looking for more info when I came across your blog tribute. Bo lived down the hall from me during my first year at Vassar and, as you describe, he knew well how to make one feel welcome and warmed. I still have a few drawings that he made for me, a few photos of my makeover by Bo, and wonderful memories of laughing together. His pixie dust has made it all the way to Watsonville, California. Pam

Anonymous said...

I only learned of Bo's passing today when reading the Vassar Quarterly. I am so incredibly saddened. I knew Beau well while at Vassar and then in NYC. I ran into him in NYC a few years ago. He came running across the street screaming "Yo BABE" as he always did at Vassar. I remember him coming into my dorm and making us all up to look like Pat Benetar. He was truly an amazing spirit! Full of energy and joy! He always put a smile on my face. I am sad that I missed all the beautiful tributes to him. Thank you so much for posting this blog. It sounds like Bo had created a wonderful life for himself. He will be missed dearly!

Anonymous said...

I've known Bo since Sarah Lawrence and loved him deeply. We had a pattern where we'd be close friends, then lose touch and one day I'd be walking down a side street in NYC or SF and I'd hear Bo say my name, and we'd hug and be close friends again until one of us moved (usually me). He did the makeup for myself and my entire wedding party in 2003, a nice full circle moment since I'd given him makeup lessons when we were students at Sarah Lawrence.

I just moved back to NYC and googled him hoping to reconnect again as we always did.

I'm in shock and grieving tonight to think of a world without Bo in it. I can't believe he's gone. He was, and remains, a beautiful, beautiful soul and a beautiful, beautiful man.

ericmabius said...

I am moved by your words. Bo and I became unwitting roommates at SLC and there is not a week that goes by that I don't miss him and his advice and his infectious passion for breath. We shared many outstanding moments together and I still think he's going to reappear and all wil be as I remember it: pristine and vivacious.
I still can't quite make peace with his absence but that's my own problem, I suppose.

Anonymous said...

Hi Patrick,
I'm also Patrick.
Patrick Delahunt of Oakland CA. I am very sorry to have just stumbled upon this tribute to Bo, and wonder if we can connect somehow. I'd like to discuss as I was friends with Bo in San Francisco and had lost touch with him. My contact info pdelahunt@me.com
Am saddened by the news and wished I'd kept in touch once he left SF.
Thanks for the lovely tribute.