Friday, August 29, 2008

Oh TV, How I have Longed for Thee


Today I got TELEVISION. Not like other people "got religion," I just got the cable guy to come and hook me up. Shove a cable line in my veins and make me worthy of talking to other people. TV, an invention that many have enjoyed, been hypnotised by, gotten a personality from, taken as a lover, for years. Myself included.

From the blog "Stuff White People Like," #28 is "Not Having a TV." Meaning white people like to tell you that they don't watch television so that they can feel superior to you. Funny stuff based on some truth.

If I had to come clean, I didn't have TV because cable is such an expense every month and I found that my life in New York kept me way too engaged to rationalise having it. Sure I would have liked to continue watching "Brothers & Sisters," "30 Rock" The OLYMPICS! But once I didn't have it I did not miss it. Kind of like alcohol, cigarettes, a car, abs.

But the hitch for me, and I will say this here on internationally-read blog (!!!), I apparently work in television! Or will potentially work. This kind of changes things. Kind of like being a doctor and not staying up on the latest medical procedures (heck, combine the two and see: "Grey's Anatomy).

So now I am officially TV fit with DVR and a gazillion channels. I have TV, but no job. (First things first?) What I do have is another $80+/month bill to add to all the others that make modern living so...livable.

Do they ever ask you in an interview if you have a television? I think it is assumed. And fair enough. So I am fighting fit and can now lie on the couch, watch endless hours of...stuff, and tell the world I am doing research.

Now to give up my gym membership to compensate.

No comments: