Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Story Time

Don (left) and John getting ready to go.

I think no matter how old I get I still love being told stories. And the ones with the greatest experience of time, hard work, success and hardship seem to tell the best ones.

Today I was fortunate enough to be the representative of the BAFTA/LA Heritage Archive (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) at the taping of the Don Taffner interview for the archive. It was done in conjunction with the Television Academy. I got to work with Karen Herman who is the Director for the Archive of American Television for the Academy. She was excellent and very nice.

Don could not have been a better subject. He was interviewed by his long time business partner, John Fitzgerald. The two of them were pros and really knew how to talk to each other. Don lit the place up with his stories of producing "Three's Company" and bringing "The
Benny Hill Show" to the United States. What a nice, nice man. I was fascinated by all his work with the UK and that he is a majority owner of the Shraftsbury Theatre in London where I have seen many a play.

In the room where we did the interview was a full set of Rennie MacIntosh chairs and a dining table. After I told him about my time in Glasgow he told me his wife Eleanor was on the board of the Glasgow School of Art! I got to meet her afterwards and she was a delight.

What a great day it was.

No comments: