Monday, August 4, 2008

I have this thing...


...which I call "T-shirt, Book, Dog." It is my thing about how people most often need license/entree to speak to each other. And by each other I mean two strangers. Ala two strangers on the streets of New York City.

If I am wearing a solid black t-shirt, holding or walking nothing, then if you come up to me and say something beyond "What time is it, please?" or "Do you know how to get to Coney Island?" I will think you are scamming me and want nothing to do with you. The same goes when I walk up to someone in solid colors whose hands are empty and ask "How did you feel when "Dynasty" was on the air and you were engrossed in it, but had to go off to college?" They would rightfully think I was a freak. (Regardless, no doubt. Okay, not a good example.)

But if you are walking a beagle or have a t-shirt that reads "Green Bay, Wisconsin" or are reading "Kavalier & Clay" then I can approach you with ease as long as I ask something that pertains to Wisconsin, beagle or Clay and not "Dynasty and college." Get it? Simple.

Today I was crossing the street to Zabar's and this man was wearing an "SF Giants" cap - my home baseball team. I was not entirely pushed to speak to him, but it was the combo of this and the fact that a UPS truck was blocking our signal and the fourth thing besides "T-shirt, Book, Dog" that allows us to speak to strangers is "Shared Tragedy" such a torrential rain that we are both caught in, down subway, or blocked traffic light.

So me and Giants fan got to talking. He used to live in Tiburon (swanky!) and now lives in Miami Beach, but "met some chick who owns a brownstone so I am up here half the time." Keep in mind this whole exchange happened crossing Broadway. His son lives in San Rafael. After I told him I moved from San Francisco to LA he told me his daughter lives in Newport Beach. We were both members of the Olympic Club in San Francisco. I told him I was just home for a visit and said how much I liked getting away from the humidity. He told me "all you have to do is take your boat out to the Bahamas with a fishing pole and you are all set." Okay so many he was a bit of a blowhard, and it was a hat and not a t-shirt, but without the traffic light issue and his Giants cap we would have remained total strangers with so much in common.

Not a great example I realize, but when I meet the one because I was reading "Brideshead Revisited" while wearing my "J Church" t-shirt I will get back to you about how important LICENSE and using it is!

No comments: