Monday, August 18, 2008

New Ark

Went out to Newark Airport to meet my pal Scott coming in from playing at the World Bagpipe Championships in Glasgow, Scotland. He had a layover before heading to California so we got to hang out and talk.

It was great to see him so pleased with the trip overall in spite of some things not going well in the competition. I am always glad when I see him psyched. I find it infectious.

He plays with the Australia Highlanders Pipe Band and before he landed in N. Ireland (they had a contest there first) he had never met any of the players save for our friend Colin, another California player. How amazing is that? There are players in that band from California, New York, New Zealand and, of course, Australia. It is a global world (redundant, right?) and it is even in evidence in the bagpiping world. We did talk about the great brotherhood that exits (amidst all the infighting!) in the piping world and how grateful we are to be a part of it. It is amazing, truly.

I had brought my camera out to the airport like a good bloggy boy to capture the moment and again completely forgot to take a snap of him. He is one of my most faithful readers (that is a real pal, I tell ya) and supporters. I know he would have loved/hated, well hated, the photo thing, but it would have been good. What is my deal? Instead I ask for you to look for him in the Bangor, N. Ireland contest they played with a clip courtesy of You Tube.

No comments: