Thursday, July 31, 2008

My Typical Day


Jeff Koons on the roof of the Met. Does it get any better?


Nice...sculpture.

End of the month. Rent due tomorrow. Reality. I stay sane and hit the gym for a good work out. I walked in the park and said hello to my trees and statues and benches. I wrote e-mails looking for jobs. I did the tasks that I had to do and then I went to the Met.

I went to the Met to say to myself that I did my work for the day and it was time to be part of why I live here.

Going to the Met always reminds me that I live in one of the world's true great cities. Many cities are "great," sure but not great in magnitude, cultural and significant. New York City is one of them. As I walked up 5th Avenue towards the mighty steps I envisioned all the people outside the mighty museum in their "national costumes." It made me realize how significant this museum is and in the map of the world it is just right across the park from me.

I have been here many times, but today was the first time I truly appreciated the magnitude of the place. It is HUGE. And ENDLESS. And VAST, COMPREHENSIVE and wonderful.

I caught the Turner exhibit. (landscapes are lovely, but I'll take Sergeant." The "Art of the Royal Court: Treasures in the Pietre Dure from the Palaces of Europe" was wonderful and obscene. I was stunned the most by how vibrant the precious stones held up after all these centuries.

Then I went to Jeff Koons on the roof. I have always loved his stuff since I saw a huge exhibit in San Francisco many years ago. And the view was breathtaking.

Yes, today I worked hard, worked out and enjoyed the world around me. A perfect day in the "it could all be over tomorrow" school of living.

1 comment:

Criticlasm said...

yay, Met! That reminds me always that I never followed through with my blog/coffee table book "Asses of Antiquity". The Met has some of the best. You are lucky to be in city with it. Favorite place.