Friday, July 4, 2008

Little Known American History


Ron and Pat sur la plage in Fire Island, NY

In 1976, just 200 years after the signing of the Declaration of Independence, a drag queen from the community of Cherry Grove on Fire Island, NY was denied service at a bar in The Pines, a typically snootier and more affluent gay community on the island. "She" went back to Cherry Grove and told her sisters. The whole lot, about 9 men in drag, got on a water taxi and "invaded" The Pines. It has become an annual tradition since then.

I was fortunate enough to be invited to spend the day and witness this event myself by my friends Tom and Phil who have a summer share on the island. Ron went with me and it was a hoot.


Gracious hosts and pals, Tom and Phil

Tom and Phil gave us THE comprehensive tour of the area including Jerry Herman's and Halston's old houses and the infamous Meatrack section. We went over to Cherry Grove to see all the gals getting ready. They are so friendly and let you take all sorts of photos of them. Natch. We then went back to The Pines to see over 100 drag queens invade The Pines harbour via, er, ferry. A sight to see. This was a very different 4th for me!


a REAL Lily Pulizter


One of 100 Amy Winehouses. close up of Amy's bracelet!

Cher via Gene Simmons




All the 1st ladies were represented in patriotic spirit

THE INVASION!!!!!



















And, finally, a real woman!

An excellent day out.
Ron went back to town and I took a water taxi and invaded Ocean Beach Park where my friend Hilary and her family had invited me for the weekend. I had never met any of them before, but had heard all about them. What a lovely, lovely family and I was so made to feel a part of the clan instantly. We had way excellent BBQ hamburgers and hotdogs made by Hilary's sister Sarah and her dad Marty.


A full day of drag and traditional American family! I can do it all friends!

No comments: