Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Girl and Her Dog


Maureen and Kobe getting ready to do their thing.


Met up with my pal Maureen for breakfast and a walk in the Park. Can there be anything finer? We were once both banking bagpipers, now we just like each other. We went to Noah's New York Bagels and I got the potato/peppercorn one that I love. I noticed that I could have played the "I live in New York and these are NOT real bagels" card which we did discuss, but 1. I didn't feel the need and 2. I realized in that moment that I didn't feel like a (qualified) New Yorker yet anyway. I live there now and I love it, but that is it. I don't feel like any place is inferior to it.

[Watch this space.]

Maureen has a dog, Kobe, who she adopted as an adult (Kobe is 56 now) from a couple who moved to Spain. (Once one person moves to Spain you tend to notice a lot of people moving to Spain. It is just like buying a certain SUV, etc.) Kobe is beautiful and a BARKER. She barks at the moving van, she barks at the kid on the skateboard, she barks at the little dog standing right there. She likes to bark. It is her thing. Much as other dogs wear tutus and jump through flames of fire is their thing.

Kobe in position

We went to Golden Gate Park by the old fly casting pond that Maureen explained was dry. I suppose I could have looked over and surmised that, but I would probably have to admit I didn't even recognize it as the fly casting pond.

She and Kobe have this ball throwing thing. Not original between woman and dog I will admit, but it was touching. Like me, Maureen does not join in on barking so this is something they can do together. And besides tennis balls there is stuff. There is this thing like a plastic claw that grabs the ball off the ground and you can throw with it. And there is electrolyte water. And there is a bag to carry it all in. Like everything in life, it is a whole thing. Reminded me of when I used to smoke cigarettes and all the stuff that I needed along with the smokes. But this thing is much healthier. Though with the price of dog food I cannot say it is less expensive.


The Thing.

When we got to the field to throw the ball with the thing I noticed other people with their dogs and the thing. But it is beyond just a thing; it is a whole deal. People, park, dogs. balls, throwing things. It is dog casting or ball casting with dogs as chasers. I loved being part of it even as merely a visitor there to audit this life.
For every thing you are not involved in there are people very involved in it. This is one.

Kobe with her Smart Water. It is key. Her English has vastly improved.

A great, great visit as always. I love that we manage to talk about the past, present and future without dwelling too heavily or inappropriately on any one category. We cover it. We laugh, we get thoughtful. We cover it. And back at the house we did it all while while I drank tea and Maureen made her 1,137th loaf of soda bread to perfection . Why I did not photograph that I do not know.

No comments: