Sunday, December 23, 2007

Whatta Year 2007/Blog Pauses for Christmas Letter

If I were to graph my 2007 it would start so high and then plummet so low and then plateau and climb and then dip and then soar and then get all squiggly and end climbing, but cautiously, but climbing.

But whatta ride, man.


I started out 2007 coming off a wonderful Christmas with my family in San Francisco by meeting up with Jan, Ashley, Annie and Jenean in Palm Springs for New Years. It was perfectly perfect. Then met a guy at a birthday party at Trader Vics in Beverly Hills. Over by the puu-puu platter. He was a really nice, funny, talented, smart guy and he asked me out. I was starting my year meeting a great guy. (In fact may 2008 start the same!) But we had to wait to go out because I was going to the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah to work in the programming office!!! Whatta way to make someone wait! You can't write this stuff (oh, I just did.) It was the most amazing experience and I realized for 12 straight days I was really, really happy. It was a combination of being in air so thin and doing something I really, really loved. I got to introduce filmmakers and their films and go to screenings and parties and meet a bazillion people. I have to stop because I could keep writing about this part.

Leaving for Park City with my Programming colleagues and pals.I am really here!!!With the filmmakers of "Adrift in Manhattan" (hmmm? Foreshadowing?)


Me with Kim and Basil, fellow programming friends.

Got back to California and started dating which for me is like being up on water skis and wondering what you are doing up there since you don't know how to water ski. It was great, but scary and came crashing down into the murky water and was dragged around by the speed boat way too quickly. I thought. But what do I know about water skiing?
Then I got hired to be the Panels Programmer for Outfest Film Festival in LA. This was the best timing as it got me out of my black hole and back to being productive. I worked with great people and got to run my own show at the same time. It was a huge success and I loved every minute of being at that Fest.

The cast of Ugly Betty, one of the panels I produced at Outfest. With my excellent bosses too!Matthew Rhys from "Brothers & Sisters" - another great panel at Outfest 2007!


Then momentum slowed, and I got a call that my pipe band folded. No job, no date, no band. I may as well have bought a dog so you could kick it. But I took trips up to San Francisco to see family and friends, played pipes with pals at the Bohemian Grove, and made a mad trip to Fort Lauderdale, Florida with my pal Brian. (He was in Seattle, I was in Los Angeles, we met up in Florida.) I read my hard-hitting, seminal piece "I HATE LA" at Chi Chi's Word Parlour thanks to being chosen and for the greatness that is my pal and writing teacher, Marilyn, at Writing Pad. (see link on my blog links.) I attended the Caledonian Club of San Francisco Highland Gathering to receive my 25 Year membership pin at the grandstand show with my wonderful brother Sean and lifelong pal, Will. We were presented these pins by our good friend and bandmate, the Chief, John Biggar. Wow. Cool.
Brian and Pat in Florida
At the Bohemian Grove with good friends. I just missed my brother.


Here he is! With Leiyan, Oonagh and wee John. I loved that day with them.


The three Graces on Angel Island. (Amy, Lauren, Jen) Notice the Golden Gate Bridge in the bg if you see past all the beauty!


My niece Claire and my nephew Mitch.


An amazing dinner at Eileen and Rick's in San Francisco.


Cheline and Marjorie mixing it up.


No San Francisco party is complete without whipped cream. Trust me. Me reading on stage at Chi Chi's Word Parlour in Los Angeles


Will, Sean and I after getting our 25 year pins. A lot of history.

Back to LA. Eric and Lana forwarded me an on-line advert for a consultant position at Sundance Channel in New York. What the heck. I applied, wrote to the Sundance Channel folks I met at the beginning of the year at the Festival and got an interview. Then two more interviews and then the job.

I got the offer on 14 September and on 28 September I landed in JFK. Thanks to SO much help by friends in LA and SF I was able to pull this off.


Steve, John and I wrapping and rapping in advance of my move.My Dolce Teresa! Love that woman. I cannot even write words about how much I adore Marian and Eric. With David Dean! He gave me my first "kitchen intervention" and threw away all my crap right in front of my eyes!
Brad and I became friends right before I jumped ship for NYC. So glad we did that.

I really am a Lesbian at heart. Truly.

My Northern Cal crew after a hard day!Two of the many princesses in my life: Claire and Lisa.

Now I live in New York City and love it more than I can describe. As I have said before, every day here feels like a backlot musical to me.
So let's recap: I started in the desert (literally), met a guy, got high, lost a guy, got low, paneled, performed, travelled, got medaled, moved. Wow.

I am blessed with loads of good fortune, wonderful friends and family and a new town. Thank you 2007. And thank you all for being in my life.

I hope you all have a wonderful, healthy and happy 2008.

xo Pat(rick)
I just moved to NEW YORK CITY!!!!
My hoos!My neighborhood.


I miss you Mum and Dad. Thank you. xo Pat

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you patrick for sharing so openly your ups and downs of 2007. wishing you more of the ups and less of the downs in 2008. love nicholas and kevin (you've gotta have some of the downs, otherwise you don't notice the ups!)

nmrla said...

Dude, I always knew you had this in you! Now forgive me for nudging you for all these years! Merry Merry and thanks for the address...xonr

Anonymous said...

great to hear from you...and to have met you in the airport to park city -- hope your year is well. enjoy the eastside...

Anonymous said...

Patrick,
We became friends at the beginning of our LA journeys. Those have both come to a close and a new chapter is beginning for us. I look forward to our blogs and finding out what happens to us in the year to come.
Remember: When one door closes another always opens, but sometimes it can be Hell in the hallway...

Anonymous said...

Hi Patrick .... just a quick hello ... from Partick .... that quaint place you played pipes , drank beer ... and had fun . Wishing you and yours all the best for 2008 ...glad your with good folks ... and It was good to see photos of your brother & kids ..... more to life than drumming ... eh .... nice life for them . so ..... ciao for now .....liked your blog ......... and keep piping up .

take care dear Pat .
bonne chance

Les SANG ...Partick .. Glasgow ...Scotland .


have a cool yule . x x x x

Anonymous said...

Patrick - Great blog, great life. So happy that Greg and I are part of your life, whether in LA or NY. Now, you have to visit Long Beach in 2008, you know....Merry Christmas! George Meyer

Unknown said...

Patrick: This is wonderfully newsy and so much easier than throwing a card away. I can just delete the message thereby reducing my carbon footprint!

All our love,

The Pothasts

Mike R said...

Wow, Patrick! The last time I saw you was at Outfest in LA (my film was Saving Marriage)! I had no idea so many changes had happened in your life since then. I was in NY for a month working on a show; wish I had known you were around. Now I know for next time! (Please send me your contact info.) Thanks for sharing your roller coaster 2007 with me and here's to an exciting 2008 for all of us. :)

Anonymous said...

Patrick: So glad to hear you are happy and well! Sorry I didn't get a chance to see you when I was in NYC over the holidays, but it was a whirlwind trip...I am planning to be back again soon (maybe spring) so we'll need to make sure we hook up... Hope your Holidays are FAB-U-LOUS!

xox
Barry

Anonymous said...

Holiday Greetings dear Patrick! Fun to see where the road has taken you this year...and we've been thinking of you and our goofy little sojourn in Palm Springs...12 months or a lifetime ago. Hope we'll see you in 08...here on the West Coast, or there. (We're overdue to go and take in some shows.) Love and hugs and congrats on your pursuit of happiness and adventure, Annie & Jenean

Anonymous said...

Happy holidays Patrick and thanks for sharing---and I feel blessed that I got to experience some of your highs with you: Sundance, Outfest, NYC.

Have a great 2008 and I'll miss you at Park City!!

Damon

Anonymous said...

You look great and happy! Thanks for the recap and update. Can't wait to visit you in your new digs...hopefully in May. Thanks for all the positive energy, always!! xo - Lesley, Cody and Tyler

Anonymous said...

thanks for sending me this link.
though it has been SO many years, had never really felt completely apart from you. is good to see photos and feel in touch.
am very happy for your being back in such a great city (and away form one i so disliked).
all the best for the coming year.

Ladyclyde said...

Hi Pat

Enjoying reading your blog and so happy that you are happy!

Planning my 50th trip to NY so stay put;)

Love you, take care

Lin

X