Friday, December 21, 2007

Knocked Over

Instead of leaving the office yesterday for the Caribbean or Maine, I headed to the Universal Studios Screening Room on 5th to see "Knocked Up." I was there with the 7 other people who had not yet seen it. I found the film enjoyable and funny in parts and then really long and then kind of different than I expected. But the most striking thing for me was that it marked the first time I felt any real "home"sickness for Los Angeles at all. Since the film took place there I saw a lot of familiar spots and I guess this sense of familiarity made me nostalgic for a time 3 +months ago. I also struggled to remember where I was in that screening room. For some reason Manhattan being outside of this small, dark space made no sense. I forgot I lived in New York and I struggled to make sense of the fact that I did. An odd feeling like drinking orange juice expecting milk.

After leaving the film, I walked up 6th and made my way to the park. I listened to Jill Sobule on my i-pod and walked all the way home straddling the park on Central Park West. A lovely night, lots of activity and Christmas lights and once again I felt home.

No comments: