Wednesday, December 12, 2007

It Could Have Been a Total Drag




Tonight was my night of THEATAHHHH. I was supposed to go see Conor MacPherson's new play "The Seafarer" with Ron. We were set to see this play ages ago, but then the stagehands had a strike. Tonight was the night. Ron called just as he was to leave the house for the city and told me he had bought tickets for the matinee and not the evening performance! So no play. Shut out. I tell you here because Ron never reads my blog and so it is a safe place.




I had a friend in from LA who I couldn't see tonight because I already had tickets for the theatre. Tonight was the Kiki & Herb Christmas show at Carnegie Hall. I could switch gears and Damon from LA and I could go to that. So perfect. So "Half Full." So "lemonade." So I rang him on his mobile. He called back later and told me he checked the message after he bought a lonely ticket to "Legally Blonde - The Musical." We should have all just gone to see "A Comedy of Errors." OR I should cotton that no one wants to be seen dead with me.




Off to Carnegie Hall by myself I went. This place has some cool memories for me. My dad sang a solo in Carnegie Hall in "Song of Norway." He always used this over me and would say "Come talk to me when you have been on stage at Carnegie Hall." One time when he and I were in New York together in the early 80s he talked the security guy into letting us look around the Hall which was shut in the day. Here was my chance to JUMP on that stage, do a quick tap and blurt out "Row Row Row Your Boat." I was not so fast on my feet in those days and my old man still triumphs as the only family member to solo in the big time.




So here I am at one of the most famous concert halls in the world about to see a Christmas drag show by myself and up walks the GM where I work and the woman in the next office over. And another woman from work was there and my friend Frank got a single to go as well and I saw him there. New York City. Carnegie Hall. I knew 4 people. Fun night. Good show. And tomorrow is another day.

1 comment:

Criticlasm said...

I heart Kiki and Herb. Favortie quote--"I was always daddy's little girl. As I always say, if you weren't molested as a child, you must have been an UGLY CHILD!