Tuesday, December 11, 2007

An Italian, a Jew and an Irishman...



December 11th 2007. My niece Claire's birthday and the day that Andrea and I met in New York City after 26 years. She from Israel and me essentially from California. Two 13 year olds could have been born back to back in the time we had not seen each other. Or a 24 year old could have had a 2 year old baby. 6 people could have graduated from the same high school and never known each other and had two years to talk about it in the time we had not seen each other. Okay. I will stop.! But it was a long time.

Our dads, Sid and John were in the airforce together along with their friend Chuck: An Italian, a Jew and an Irishman all became friends because of war. All grew up in New York City and all brought their families together in Florida 26 years ago. We were all young, we were all happy, we were all alive. It amounted to a weekend, but the bond because of our dads was so strong that all these years later we are meeting for lunch in New York. How can that be? How can anything be better? That weekend so long ago had such a huge impact on my life and it was so wonderful to be seeing Andrea today. Thanks to Andrea we looked up at the ceiling while at the table and said hello to our fathers. Sid just passed away this last May. We think he is up there with my dad. He was a great guy and my dad loved him. Andrea sent me a St. Patrick's Day card my dad had sent to her dad. I have that and treasure it.

Life has many sad, hard moments, but this was one of the joys. And to think that maybe the next generation of Connollys and Milstones could one day meet up in Israel or California or New York City. It is possible. I marvel at what is possible. And as Andrea says for everything from see you next week to can you pass the salt - "G-d willing."


Andrea, Pat and Andrea's friend Carole

How cute are these girls?

No comments: