Wednesday, December 5, 2007

From

7813 Steps

Snow flurries mixed with sleet. I guess that was what was going on today. I got into work at 8:20am and worked steady until my head was splitting and decided to walk out in the weather to clear my mind. It was bee are eye ess kay, BRISK, out there. Bracing too! Just what I needed to reinvigorate myself and go back and keep plugging away. My job is detail and don't forget to do this when you do that. And did you get that thing to her so he can do this? And, ring, ring just a second can you hold, yes?, okay I will come down, I'll have to call you back. Not anything wrong with any of it, but it is just very busy and often I forget to walk away.

I finally did at 6:30 tonight. I got to the UWS and went shopping for food. I know I am hungry and it is late and I want to just get Chinese, but I end up buying pears and spinach that I pray I eat someday. And I get soup which I know I will eat. I always seem to buy produce because it makes me feel like I am keeping on top of it all. I have a half of an aged fennel bulb in my fridge from before the Thanksgiving. At least half of it did get eaten.

The thing that freaks me out at the market is produce from California. I feel strange buying it rather than, er, patriotic. For some reason I think that I should get it for free. Or dramatically discounted because I am FROM there. And it is FROM there. If I were from New York, I would just buy a bunch of navel oranges from California and that would feel normal to me, but it feel like coals to Newcastle. Another thing I need to get over. I never had a problem buying maple syrup from Vermont when I was in California. And I would buy it here too, but spinach from the San Joaquin Valley in Manhattan?! What, was I pulling spinach out of my front lawn when I was in California and oranges from the tree outside my kitchen window? No. So what is the deal? I will buy apples from Washington and tomatoes from Mexico.

And this brings me to another thing. When people here ask me where I am from I say San Francisco. And then they may ask what I was doing there and then I get into the whole, well I was working in LA, but I am FROM San Francisco. I am not FROM LA and I don't want people to think I am when I am not and not that there is anything wrong with being from LA, I am just not, but it makes the whole discussion thing clumsy. If I just said I moved from LA that would be that.

And then there is the what are you doing and what did you do? And it all boils down to what I think for ME. And it shouldn't matter where I am from and what I did and where I did it except for discussion sake and perspective, but the real deal is what I am doing now and where I am now. I work in TV in New York. I do program scheduling and planning at a network in New York. But I used to.... And when I was living....

And then there is the I used to weigh this fantastic, excellent weight and I wore size stud pants, and I really should still weigh that, but some really bad people come along every night and feed me like a pate-in-training goose against my will. And now I am post-lanky and scheduling.

I work in New York Bloody City! That is the kind of NOW I have always wanted and I have it. And I love it. It beats working in LA for me. And it beats not working at all anywhere.

And if I just ate more of the California arugula and less of the New York rugula, I would be sitting pretty.

No comments: