Friday, December 14, 2007

Mommy How Did I Get Here?


Today I shot for an A-/B+ day. I wanted the sense of accomplishment and the job well done and not the I can do this next week at this point. But I didn't need fireworks. And I got what I wanted. For the most part. My job, like many others', is deadlines infused with meetings and constant interruptions. So I managed to keep my head down and get my work done with some left for Monday, but in a manageable state. So, good.


Cooper and Paul Louie were in town from LA and we met for a drink after work. It was great to see them. I enjoyed hearing their New York stories from when they lived here. Every time I am with them I realize how much I enjoy being with them. This happens more and more to me. That kind of thing. I wished we got to spend longer together, but it was quality, not quantity and I have to be thankful for that. It isn't hard to realize how your life is a series and a result of the people you meet and engage with. I was in a book club with Paul Louie in LA because of our mutual friendship with Jon and Paul Louie believed in me and got me to talk to Cooper who is the head of Programming at the Sundance Film Festival and I so loved working for the festival and through that I am in New York. So I had drinks with two major reasons why I am in a city I love. Thanks, guys. And we had drinks at the famous theatre watering hole, Joe Allen. That was cool. Cooper used to work for Joe Allen. So maybe in some way Joe Allen also has something to do with why I am here in New York! Thanks, Joe! I will miss them until the next visit. But who knows what the future will bring?!

I decided to walk home from midtown after our visit. I know you are not supposed to tell these things, but it just is another example of how engaged I feel here and how lucky I am to be here. I asked a blind woman with a dog if I could help her across a busy two way street. She said yes and we got to talking. She is Irish from Chicago. Maureen. A singer who is writing a solo show. She gave me her business card which she keeps in a pouch on her dog. I got her to a bus stop and asked another woman if she would let Maureen know when the 104 came. A completely unexpected wonderful interaction with someone else making it here. I love the street interaction with people. So Maureen and I had a got to meet on my foot commute home and that is New York livin' at its best.
Thanks Paul Louie, Cooper, Joe and Maureen.

No comments: