Sunday, December 2, 2007

And so it goes.




My Hoos!!

14478 Steps



Let me first start out by clarifying that I had already moved to New York when ENTERAINMENT WEEKLY came out with its "50 Smartest People in Hollywood" issue.

And in other news:

IT SNOWED FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS SEASON!!!

I awoke to my first snow here and it was magical. I got up looked out at my snow-covered terrace and felt as if Santa had come this very morning. (This totally innocent sentence of exhuberant pure joy, I just realize, blows and would be totally red-lined by an editor.)

I got dressed and got my i-pod, picked up a coffee on the corner and walked through Central Park. Imagine you are playing Vince Garaldi Peanuts music which is the clear winner of a choice and you are walking through fresh fluffy snow in Central Park and there are kids sledding. No shit! And dogs with wee coats on and lovers holding gloved hands and just GLEE everywhere. The grins are of the shit-eating variety and kids really look like bundled cherubs. It was Currier & Ives and I was part of it.




As I walked further across the park, I switched to my sister Eileen's Sarah Brightman album in my itunes. I was wearing snow shoes that Jon told me to get and the hat and gloves that Marjorie made for me and the J Church (SF Muni line) t-shirt that Lisa gave me and the Marks and Spencer black briefs that Tricia made me buy when she saw my appalling Y-fronts, and I didn't feel alone. As happy as I was, I cried half way across the park because of my parents and that killer longing to have them here that never really goes away and then I looked at those kids and I realized that it all is as it is and that it is all the same. And we all get so many first snows and then we are out and another batch of cute, bundled cherubs come in and takes over and that is how it is.




I got my museum today. I went to the Met and saw this great exhibit: "Impressed by Light: British Photographs from Paper Negatives, 1840-1860. "

(You ever notice how all art exhibits and all Lifetme - TV for Women and Gay Men- movies all have colons in them? "Rembrandt: Portrait of a Dutch Master" and "Dawn: Portrait of Much Disaster." It's a thing all art shares, I suppose.)

The photos were amazing and over 150 years old. People with clothes, and buildings and signs in English. Back then! Who knew?





What's Next?: Cher Vale, Liza Glade, Bindi Sue Irwin Field?

Met Hilary after and we went to a screening of "Atonement" (Just that, no colon) and then Keira Knightley, Jame McAvoy and Chris Hampton and the director fellow did a Q & A. Oh and the young excellent Irish actress Saoirse Ronan. She was born in 1994. I looked it up. I really enjoyed the film. Excellent composition and style. I seem to love films about untruths and the ramifications. Hmmm? I need a semi-intellectual New York dinner to go to really discuss this.
And later on, I had one! My friend Alex in Toronto has a brother in Vancouver who came here on business and she suggested we meet. Ross, his name and therefore the one I will use here, took me out to a lovely Italian restaurant and we had a great conversation about food, theatre, politics, Canada, sun and other topics. I had a great time. It was too bad it was so late on a school night and he leaves after tomorrow. I am taking him up on a dinner party and skiing in BC one of these days! You never know.

1 comment:

Criticlasm said...

That Judd Apatow was supposedly the smartest guy in Hollywood makes me really sad. "Look! He makes fart jokes with tenderness!" Oy.

Sounds lovely, though. Really lovely.