Saturday, December 1, 2007

You have two days to be,well, someone.


12835 Steps

Let me tell you people who don't work full time how it is: You work all day Monday and then the same thing the next 4 days until you are a puddle and your eyes are damaged by fluorescent lights. And then they let you go and you have two whole days off and they may as well shoot a gun and say GO!!!!!!!

I feel this need for two days to LIVE in New York like I have seen in the movies. Not the one's where you are a 70's male prostitute in Times Square, but the ones where you are all urban and bundled for the weather and you do this and you get that done and then you nip in here and you chat about urban things and slip in something regionally historical like what it was like when George Washington was on the island and how much things have changed. And because it is the holiday season you give one of the many singing homeless people on the subway some change (Many are seasonal workers like the French Canadian Christmas tree sellers.) and then you nip in somewhere else.

It is flipping exhausting.

I got up late. Had coffee. More because I wanted to "have coffee in my apartment on a Saturday morning" than I really "wanted" coffee. I sat down and realized I wasn't playing something perfectly perfect on my i-pod stereo so I got up and put on something that was electronic and French. And then I sat down again. It was boring as hell.

I went to the park and played pipes in the FREEZING ASS weather, but it was fun and I talked to some people and got photographed more than I usually do when I don't have my pipes. Fun.

Home and more tidying because if I don't have order or forget to do something I have lost the game of the 2 days. But all work and no play... so I NIP out listening to bagpipe music on my ipod in the streets of Manhattan and no one else knows. They all take a look at me and think I am listening to Billy Joel's newest album or some CD from Starbucks, but I am listening to awesome killer bagpipes tunes as I was walk down Broadway. This little secret gives me a thrill akin to knowing I am naked under my kilt when I am talking to someone's grandparent.

I got off topic. I only have two days. No time to get off topic.

I walked to the big cinema complex and got into "Michael Clayton" with my guild card. Awesome. Good flick. Now I need to get out and walk along a river and nip into a museum before meeting friends in the Village for Vietnamese. Oh my God. There is not enough time. But TOO much time to just stand and do nothing. This day SUCKS!!! No river, no museum. So I made lemonade and got toilet paper, washing up liquid and Vaseline instead.

No comments: