Thursday, January 1, 2009

Single Ladies

Are not thinking about me, that is for sure.

But instead of talking about my hopes and dreams for 2009 - for which I have some, I decided to write about my latest obsession. I am afraid it may be pedestrian, but for me it is a deep obsession.

I am obsessed with Beyoncé's video and song - Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)

Okay, there you have it. Right of of the gate in 2009 I am practicing honesty. Sure you mock, but you just watch! And looking at all the many, many knock offs on You Tube, I am NOT alone in this.

They won't let me imbed her original so follow the link here:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mVEGfH4s5g


It is AMAZING, right? Hypnotic.

Then I read about these three guys called Purple Haze who do the choreography to her music. They are three guys in the road company of the musical "The Color Purple." They do it in the period costumes of the show. And in one long, single take. Amazing.




Isn't that just SO incredible? I was blown away. And at my age doing the moves alone in the window for all the neighbors to see. Shameless, but I'm good!

Then I read that she was inspired by Bob Fosse's choreography that he did for his wife Gwen Verdon for "Mexican Breakfast" and then I knew more why I loved it as Bob was/is my idol. I used to want to be him. But I gave up the smokes, the drink and the women, so no dice! But watch. Gwen was a brilliant muse.




You can go to You Tube and find way more knock-offs, add-ons, etc - even Justin Timberlake's SNL parody. No one gets this covered unless there are obsessed people like myself out there.

There are things I just feel in my soul and my ears perk up when it happens and this si one - I think it is a GREAT and HOT video and the dancing is first rate.

Enjoy a first rate new year. Dance like you mean it and don't go the whole year as a single lady. Put a ring on it.

1 comment:

Criticlasm said...

I am so into this song as well. I downloaded it, even. A group of about twenty of us went dancing the other night, and several of just waited for this song, and then left when it was over. She rocks.