Friday, January 30, 2009

My Health is at Steak

When my mother died I asked, "Who is going to be the Barbara Stanwyck of the family now? My older sister Seona, with her seniority, status, seeming stability and practical sense seemed to be the obvious choice.

During my illness she has been a fantasitc mom substitute that I never knew I wanted or needed. She has checked in on me and done medical research and made...suggestions.

She was worried that I was not getting enough protein or eating right so today I got this HUGE styrofoam box from Omaha Steaks c/o her. I swear that there was a half a cow in this thing to look at it. Or an alien space craft come to take over what is left of my feeble brain. But inside amidst the billowing dry ice there was an assortment of meat and chicken and veg.



My freezer is full of OS supplies. I don't know if she wants me to eat or date!! It is really, truly lovely and made my day in a way only mailed meat can do. As I told her, sometimes you don't realize you need a hug and you really, really, really do. This was it. Thanks, Sis!


Now she suggests I get a pet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, there WAS that old saying, "Nothing says 'I love you' like meat."