Saturday, January 31, 2009

Upstairs at Fairway


The crazy big (by Manhattan standards) bustling market, Fairway, on the Upper West Side is my main source of food here in New York. They have everything you could imagine and crazy lines and loads of people knocking about in that hurried New York kind of way. Upstairs is the organic section and the holistic section. There is also this amazing restaurant that overlooks Broadway tucked away upstairs. You wouldn't really know about it unless you shopped there.

My friend Shawn and I went here for breakfast this morning. I had never been here for breakfast before and I have to say it was excellent. As Shawn remarked, the place looks like it is out of Seattle with exposed brick, large window and wood and open space.

I had the scrambled egg and lox with a bagel and coffee. It was done so perfectly, that I am still thinking about it.

More importantly, it was great to catch up with Shawn. We had an excellent conversation that covered all those bases and just sat there until I think people were queuing for lunch! It has been a while since I had this kind of meal this way. I hope we do it again.

No comments: