Sunday, January 25, 2009

Corey, Cauliflower and Streep

Today was a fantastic day of livin'. I really got out and about on this glorious Sunday. It was like George Bailey back from the bridge!! "Hello you old Savings and Loan!!!" (mwah)

I was feeling well enough today to go for a walkabout (well, a bus and subway-about) in Manhattan which felt amazingly good. I took a bus across town to church on 80th and Lex and listened to some amazing choir music. I then went down to the Village and caught up with Pat and Sean at the Chelsea Diner. Fantastic.

COREY

Then I met my pal Corey for an Upper Westside Walkabout. He wanted to zigzag the West 60s and lower 70s between Central Park West and Columbus. One doesn't get asked to do this often and it was a great gambol and catch up. Corey and I worked together at Sundance and he is just a delight to be around. He is a guy full of life and trivia and opinions. He is a one man Sesame Street episode of so much enthusiasm and pathos that I feel I go through life lessons and laughter with him every time we are together. And today it was all done in the letter "S" formation.

CAULIFLOWER


My amazing and lovely college pal Teresa and her husband Jose Luis went to DC to see the Inauguration of Barack Hussein Obama. We spoke on the phone tonight after they got back to CA and it was so great to hear her take on the whole thing. It sounded like an experience that one would never forget. I was so exhilarated by hearing her and then she put me over the edge by telling me that they went to their plot at the Long Beach Community Garden and brought back two beautiful cauliflowers. Jose sent me a photo and I do not know how to express that seeing this bounty from their garden and their efforts made me burst with happiness. It is going to be an eyeroller, but there is HOPE in them thar cauliflower. I saw nothing more beautiful today. *Except for my perfectly unlined left forehead.

STREEP

(Click on Meryl's photo to watch "One True Thing" FREE on HULU.com)

This has no connection, but I was thinking about Meryl Streep and should perhaps write a whole piece on her someday. She won the Golden Globe for "Doubt" this evening and I am just still in awe of her. As Salome was rewarded for her dancing or Mozart revered in the royal courts of Europe, La Streep is equally talented and worthy of heads on plates or immortality. I will say she is the Sarah Bernhardt of our day. She is The Beatles of her genre.

There is a scene on "One True Thing" where she talks to her daughter about marriage while she is dying of cancer. There is no other actress that could have delivered that scene like that. It has me balling every time as if I have just heard the most amazing tenor. What she can do with her talent and has done with her talent is a celebration of life to me. It is cauliflower and Corey and the Chelsea Diner loaded into her fingertips.

I applaud and thank her. She is a damn good actress.

No comments: