Saturday, January 24, 2009

Facing It


Sometimes lately I feel like Sally Field going for her third Oscar. My facial/mobility/vomitous/dizzy/jobless issues mixed with a steady mix of joie de vivre is perfect for any actor to get the sympathy of the Academy.

Not to overstate, but you simply do a Daniel Day Lewis "My Left Foot" face scrunch mixed with a Sean Penn "I Am Sam' walk and talk and a Emma Thompson "Wit" vomit mixed with a Ms. Field "Places in the Heart" defiance that it is not going to get the best of you and you have so nabbed that golden statuette.

But sometimes illness reads like a children's book: "Today Pat walked to the Museum of Natural History and back. The End."

That was kind of my day. My struggle. The doc says I have to get mobile which I find really hard since I can walk like a man at bar time and the wind gets in my left eye which is no good.

But my Sally self told my Bad Luck Schleprock self to bundle up and get out. I walked, as I said, to the Museum of Natural History which is a block away. And I walked up stairs I had never been up before. There is a simulated ice skating rink up there for kids and it was just the most beautiful perspective of the apartment buildings, the rink and the space center. I had never seen it and I live a spit from it. Wow.

As I was walking back through the park at the Museum I was struck once again with such gratitude to live here in New York. It is constant magic. I am itching, ITCHING I tell you, to get out again and see people and walk and climb and know that I will be alright and I will work and I will live here. It will happen, but in the meantime...

WWSD?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pat--
Your posts are so vivid and real. I love the fact that you are putting all this out there...it kind of shows how UNREAL "real" life can seem. That is, on a day-to-day basis we humans appreciate practically nothing of the wonder of living...just getting up, feeling OK, walking around, eating, talking...thanks for the reminder that every day is a good day.

Yr pal
G