Friday, January 9, 2009

Eardrops of the Gods

Got into to see an ENT Doc on UWS. A distance I would normally walk, but I got on the bus because I was delirious with exhaustion and pain. Nice offices. For fancy employed people methinks, but I had to just stay and pray this guy would just lance the hell out of my left and all the misery of a lifetime would flow out and put me quickly on the mend.

He says he didn't think it was an abscess?! What kind of ENT are you? I need to be lanced. Now. I feel the pain inside my left and I think it certainly feels cysty. He gave me prescriptions of new antibiotics, a steroid and some ear drops. In my delirium ( I passed out in the waiting room) I seemed to have the wherewithal the ask the receptionist to phone them into my local Duane Reade.

I realize that I cannot take the bus and take a cab.

I will stop here to explain how this illness has made me more of a true New Yorker.

1. I grabbed a cab. Never do this. Have fear of them. I think it is the fear of tipping. I am sure there is a Latin word for it.
2. I punched the side of van that cut me off at a walk sign while crossing the street at Park and 65th. I then raised both my hands in petty defiance like I have seen in the movies.
3. I ordered food to be delivered. Chicken soup. Again, fear of tipping. And Waiting.

Okay, we're back.

i get to Duane Reade and they tell me it will be 15 minutes. THIS was the Oscar moment. Like a mother who has to choose which of her kids lives, I told the woman I could not do it. I could not wait. I was that ill. She came back and told me 5 minutes. I think it was 15. My co-pay is usually $15 and two the items were $15 each but EAR DROPS werw $104!!! Do you know how many meals that could feed a heaving middle-aged unemployed adult in his UWS flat?! I was too out of it to call the doc for a generic and paid and left. Each drops comes to like $5 I reckon and better be the Aural Elixir of the Goddess Jamie Somers at these prices.

Two blocks to home, but like the woman in the chase seen who always breaks her heal and looks left for dead, I felt I could not go on. But I put one foot in front of other and got there and downed as many drugs as was allowed.

My landlord who is a deity in himself brought me chicken soup. I wanted to cry. It was so nice. I was in now shape to eat it, but it symbolized something to work/live for.

I took many hot showers to erase the chill. I slept, I heaved like a frat dude after a kegger.

Please Golden Eardrops, please work your magic or baby is going to jump.

No comments: