Monday, January 12, 2009

Ah, New York City. How I have Missed Ye

Folks, there is this whole world out there and they have cars and snow and people with things dangling out of their ears and...

I took at taxi downtown with my friend Cheline because I had an ENT doc apportionment on E. 36th St. I had not been outside my nest without a delirium-inducing headache since forever. I felt like a kid with his nose pressed against the glass of the cab (don't do this folks - GERMS!) with the look of total wonderment. I adore wonderment, truly I think things have been invented since last I was in the world.

But it was only a brief peek.

The doc is concerned about my left eye as I can't shut it and the cornea needs protected. He told me to get some artificial tears ("Hey, I moved here from Hollywood! yuk, yuk.) and some goop to put in my eye for nighttime. And I have to make an ophthalmology appointment stat. He then taped my eye shut. He also gave me the rest of the roll of tape, which I am sure was his professional way of taking me to his bosum! He then probably patted me on the head, gave me a sucker and sent me out onto 36th Street.


Here is sort of "the look."


Imagine putting a camera on the back of a dog and sending him out into Manhattan. That is what it felt like. I had my Kill Kenny ala South parka on so I had one eye peering out of my fur-lined igloo and headed west to 34th Street. Then I thought I was a murder-cam - like in those movies where you have that hand-held camera and all your hear in breathing. I know New Yorkers care nothing about a man with his eye-taped shut, but for some reason I enjoyed the odd feeling of anonymity I thought I had. "I am a camera"!!!

Of course I was also walking like a drunk person as I don't have good balance these days.


A recreation of my sort of POV out of my fur igloo from my murder-cam

Here are the positives for today:

1. I got out for a bit and got some fresh air
2. I got got to talk to people and pretend I didn't have Scotch tape over my left eye. (There was this 2 year old boy left ALONE in the ATM room at CHASE bank and this taped-eye man is saying to him: "Where's your mommy? Do you know where your mommy is?" Poor doubly-traumatized child.)
3. I learned how to spell OPHTHALMOLOGY. Did you know about that "h" and that "l"? I didn't and would have lost the whole spelling bee on this one.

2 comments:

Criticlasm said...

You could totally do the sequel of the Wrestler with that picture.

I like the cam view--it's looks like an old-timey postcard. :)

easca said...

Pat, What the hell is wrong with you? BTW, I say hell in front of my kids so we won't have to wait until it's too late for us to swear together. Anyway, has anyone told you what is the matter with your health? This is extremely severe. Almost stress related like you have shingles. In fact, I think you DO have shingles and should see a neurologist IMMEDIATELY. I have two friends who got shingles and both were made ill by stress. I will report back as soon as I can.