Friday, January 2, 2009

Baby Steps.



I am starting this year out right. And right away. One of my "things" was to start taking the free Apple Classes at the Apple store to learn how to use my new computer better. My hope is that this practice not only makes me more proficient, and increases my output, but acts as a metaphor for further education and exploration and change and chances this year.

People see me as this outgoing guy, but I am riddled with FEARS wrapped in laziness and rolled up in indecision.

I want to learn French, but what about Italian? I want to learn that too, but I just heard someone speaking German and I thought, damn, I want to learn that as well. So the default answer is DON'T LEARN ANY LEST YOU HURT THE OTHER LANGUAGES FEELINGS.

The real answer, of course, it pick one to begin. So the only way out of this, I find, is action combined with baby steps. Stick your toe in the water. And see/notice that you survive. And then celebrate the water and the toe.

This has been successful for me when I have done it.

I don't want to build this Apple class thing up too much, but it is me getting out, going somewhere, interacting and learning. Effort. Movement.

Today I learned Garageband. Well, not really learned it, but got an intro to it. Wow. How much fun. You can compose your own music and use it for your imovies or as your ringtone. I can even record my bagpipes and then add accompanying backup instruments. It is a whole world right on my laptop.

It was fun to sit with six other Apple Kool-Aid drinkers and learn of the capabilities that are out there for me.

It is all out there. Waiting. Just pick one to start.

No comments: