Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I Am My Father's Son


Cousins: Ethan, John, Pat, Margaret


Today. Freezing. Snowing. Last Day of the Year. My cousin Janel's wedding day. I am the piper. Proudly.
I LOVE this photo of Joe and Janel. Priceless. She even looks stunning while walking on ice in heels!

Janel's ma and my da are first cousins. That makes us second cousins. And her son and daughter and I are second cousins once removed and her ma and I are first cousins once removed. And so on and so on.

I got in my kilt and coat and cape and headed on the subway to Queens to St. Thomas RC Church. The walk from the subway with knees exposed was South Pole expedition-like, but the warmth of the church (and I do not intend that for laughs, just literally) upon arrival was welcome.

I had not seen Janel since she was out at my dad's funeral in 1994. A kid. A lot has happened to both of us since.

I first met Janel and her two brothers Justin and John when I came to New York with my dad in 1981. I seem to remember her in pajamas with feet in them. Cute as a button they all were. Their dad, Buddie, God bless him, was there. What a nice man. And my grandma's twin, me aunt Mona. And my dad, of course. All gone now. Their mom Margaret has been part of my life ever since. I think she is fantastic. And she always calls me John Connolly's son. I like that.
My beautiful cousin Margaret.
The family photo.

I can tell Janel and I are going to get along great. She was such a sweet, cute kid and I think she has retained much of that. I look forward to seeing more her and her husband Joe.

The wedding was wonderful. I played pipes on the steps of the church. Finally my fingers froze and I had to stop. "How cold was it?' "It was SO cold there was no birl" - for those who know what that is.

My cousin Mona was there from Ireland with her grandson Ethan - 3rd cousin to my nieces and nephews. And 2nd cousins whom I had never met - sisters Margaret and Clare from London. I liked them instantly and now Clare and I are more than cousins, we are Facebook friends. Huge!

The table centerpieceThey even had a guy rolling cigars at the reception.

The reception was at the Inn at New Hyde Park on Long Island. We had a deluxe bus take us there. It was as lavish a do as I had ever seen and a lot of fun. I got to be at table #1 with all my cousins and look around at new life and new generations happening and thriving and I felt blessed.Cousins John, Clare and MargaretMargaret and her two sons, Justin and John
The toast

A new year, new connections. I so wish my parents could have flown out and been there with me. They would have loved it. And my siblings! My dad would have been in his element in New York with the Irish relatives. I could just see it.

I am proud to be John Connolly's son.

No comments: