Saturday, December 13, 2008

We Love You Facebook. Oh Yes We Do.

Lana went back to Lala today. On a jet plane. But first we met her childhood friend from Fallbrook, CA whom she lost touch with and had not seen in 15 years until this morning at Sarabeth's on Amsterdam.

You see, Facebook brought them together. As it does so many of us.

We were adrift , living private lives (of quiet desperation?) until social networking opened up our cupboards to all sorts of folk from our past or just down the hall. Now we can all know about your "procedure" and that you got blottoed last Friday. Progress. We can also know that you love Sarah Palin or know someone who does.

My status says "Pat is...recovering from surgery, having a moment, getting over a breakup, struggling with nightmares from childhood clown trauma, dealing with a herpes flare up, having twins, is hating his twins, not in any kind of mood, all over the map, realizing he hates his thighs, etc." And now my childhood baseball coach, or ex girlfriend can now know all this.

Where I live, how to call me, who else I know, causes I care about, photos from my camping trip are all available to YOU.

Having said all this, I LOVE FACEBOOK. I love that Lana caught up with Megan. I campaigned for Obama in Ohio because of Facebook. I went to the Prop 8 protest at City Hall because of Facebook. I know when your birthday is because of this tidy invention.

And there is that FB friend status level thing. You know how you can meet someone and chat for the evening, but it would be way too forward and a little OTT to ask them for their phone number just to keep in touch? But it IS okay to "friend" them on Facebook. In fact, we love having someone knock on our cyber door and ask to be let in. Most often we do.

I went to a party last night and now have 4 new FB friends. More in fact. But I would never have asked for any of their numbers. Or e-mails even. Who do I think we are to each other?!

The "new"connection is the tenuous, yet permanent one. "We are Facebook friends." Say no more. But now I get to see who you know, what you care about and how your day is going. And I love it.

I so look forward to that friend's friend's photos from his trip to Taos to be posted so I can look.

2 comments:

Criticlasm said...

You are really glass half full, and that's inspiring. IT's great to read.

And it's raining here, which makes me doubly happy!

Robin Palmer said...

I love this!