Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Day of Magical Thinking

This day started out like many others - LATE. I got up late. I didn't meditate. I had no breakfast but I decided to try to accomplish 75 things before I had to get across town to the eastside for 12:30. And even though I didn't get the laundry dropped off or my bag to the gym, WHAT I DID DO was magical.

My friend Amy and I chatted on camera via the internet about a bagpipe website project. It was magical to see her having morning coffee in Oakland while I had it in New York. And we both looked like we went to the same hair stylist. It was magical.

I had a meeting on the Upper East Side and met this most incredible woman, Maggie. As we were talking I looked out the window and thought they were doing construction on a mattress factory next door, but then I realized it was giant snowflakes falling. Absolutely magical.

I walked through the snow and got on the 1 train to another meeting downtown. I had a meeting with Peter and Shannon at FilmInFocus. Peter and I met in Ohio while volunteering for Obama and Shannon and I were supposed to meet ages ago through our friend Jessie at Sundance Channel. Anyway, it was all a small world and here were are. They were so helpful as I wanted to talk about careers in the "digital space." This is where I want to work. But not so many people are clamouring for my writing about my life so I must cast the net wider and these guys gave me some great ideas. And meeting Nina, Peter's dog, was also magical. It was just a great chat and I left with a lot of good things to think about and look into.



I had a screening tonight of "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" and both pals I had asked were not able to go so I thought "why not mix it up and roll the dice" and I posted on my Facebook status "Pat says 'Anyone interested in going to a screening of "Benjamin Button" with me tonight in New York? First reply wins." And more magic!! My friend Oliver in San Francisco's ex-girlfriend Chandra who I knew 10 years ago had moved to New York 8 years ago and recently got on Facebook replied!!" I would never have thought to ask her and what a delight it was. Nothing in 10 years had changed about her except she goes by Eve now. It was magical.

And the film, folks, is magical. I loved it. It is about a man who ages backwards and Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett and Julia Ormand are all wonderful. It was inspiring and lovely and beautifully done and well, magical. I think I love movies that are magical. I thought of Tim Burton's "Big Fish" tonight which I also loved.

I felt like going home but we decided to go for a coffee/drink and a bite. THAT was most magical. Eve has a great turn of phrase and way of observation that I loved. The chat and chew were perfect and it was lovely to talk about the excitement and challenge of New York and our mutual California ex-pat status.

We walked outside and it was snowing. Most magical. I stopped a lovely couple and asked them to take our photo with Carnegie Hall in the background. The whole moment was magical.


I got home and turned on the lights on my deck and saw the pure, pure snow.

I don't think every day is magical though it should/could be, but when I let it be and participate in life then that day is a magic day.


No comments: