Saturday, December 20, 2008

San Francisco, Here I Is

My friend Jon is a saint. My flight was delayed 3+ hours out of snowy Newark, NJ and he picked me up in his Santa sleigh at SFO at 1:30 this morning. I got down the chimney at his and Kurt's house and deposited into my feather bed/cocoon of comfort. Slept like an angel we had heard was high.

I love staying with Kurt and Jon as I always feel so welcome and at home. They even laid out guest-specific bedside reading: Men's Health, People's Sexiest Man Alive issue, and the local Irish paper. Bliss.

With the combo of delayed flights and instant gratification needs, we were up and drinking coffee and out to enjoy the day. We walked to the Noe Valley Farmer's Market to get produce. Bounty a go go. I loved it.

It was a BEE-U-TEE-FUL sunny, clear day in the city. We went to Mission Bay to Jon's gym and went swimming rooftop overlooking the city! In December! Fantastic.

Then it was to Tartine in the Mission District to meet my friend Michael and nosh al fresco.

So urban. I love it.


After we left Michael it was to the fab Bi-Rite Market to get apps supplies for guests tonight. A fabulous jet-lagged life is exhausting, but, well, fabulous.

Jon, unlike me, is the kind of guy who can just pull out a cocktail party (or dinner party for that matter) on the spur. It would have me on the edge. Tonight's event will be centered around broccoli rabe.

But first... and for me this is kind of momentous -- Kurt and Jon gently nudged me to shave off my goatee. It was one of those interventions I was kind of wanting to happen and afraid to initiate myself. (Can you actually do your own intervention?) Facial hair was not a badge of honor for me, but something to hide behind. I was SCARED to take it off, but wanted the helping hand of "It's time now" whispered into my ear as soft and gentle as the foam to be applied to my face. In so many words, I could see written in their eyes "You are not up for a part in a 1980's dude where's my car movie. It is time to let go and scrape that mug."

So off came my goatee after 6 or 7 years and then a ring on the door.

Cooper and Paul Louis were up from LA to see their daughters and came by for holiday cheer.


When I took this photo, I had that pinch myself moment of realizing the true meaning of Christmas which for me is that baby Jesus was born to remind us to have people over and appreciate how damn lucky we are to have friendships and a nice tree.

Cooper and PL are just great and like Jon and Kurt have certainly changed my life. It was a great night full of laughter, broccoli rabe, chin unveiling and body alignment.

Here I am with two of my fave people. I cannot say how blessed I am in them and to be able to spend time in their home as their friend and guest. Life is short and here is where I want to be! Thank you guys!

No comments: