Sunday, December 7, 2008

I have something to tell you...

I have been holding off on publishing this for many reasons. (And don't get all excited because it is no big "I am getting married, having a baby, becoming a woman" announcement.

I have been going to this church on Sunday mornings. This is my third Sunday doing this.  I have NO idea why I decided to do this.  I was not referred.  I have not been on a mega search to "find God."  I just saw this place one day on Lexington and thought "Pretty, I should go."  Actually the Catholics have almost cornered the market on "pretty" with the gorgeous stained glass and gold gadgets and all, but this one had an inviting courtyard and said it welcomed everyone so I thought "Okay, I will check this out."  

It is the All Souls Unitarian Universalist Church on the Upper East Side.  I take the bus right across the park and I am there.  I sit in the modest pew which seems so Presbyterian to me with no kneelers and simple wood with no carvings.  Being raised Catholic I feel like I am "visiting" and will have go to my own church after or I will have a major venial sin on my soul.  Oh, there I lie, I don't feel that way any more.  I am okay with others who do.

So back to this announcement. All I am announcing is I have been to this church 3 times. That is all. I have no idea if I am joining or going to say hello to anyone  or anything like that. I just like going and hearing the choir and listening to the sermon and knowing that the goal is to welcome and include and accept everyone.  

I get something out of that place.  And maybe I will put something in.  And if you have that experience at wherever you go, I think that is keen. 

1 comment:

Lexa said...

This is great! I love Unitarian churches.