Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Very Model of a Modern Consul-General

My life makes me laugh sometimes. In such a good, good way. I am in awe of the places I get to go and the people I meet.

Tonight I was at the British Consul-General's Christmas party in his private residence in Manhattan. He and his wife were simply lovely as one would expect. There were people in suits and tuxes and fancy party dresses and kilts. I had on a festive plaid tie that worked Christmas magic with my green shirt.

We were treated to Gilbert & Sullivan numbers by the New York Gilbert & Sullivan Players or NYGASP for short! And with all the lyrics one has to get out at such a rapid pace when singing G & S numbers, a gasp is indeed earned. They were really excellent. The evening was excellent. I met some interesting people over smoked salmon and roast turkey. I even met a former chief of the New York Caledonian Club. I told him that I was a member of the San Francisco Caledonian Club and that my grandfather and uncle are both past chiefs.

Here I am in New York City just over a year and I cannot believe so much of my good fortune. It was a wonderful Christmas party and I got to walk back from the east side and see the sparkling lights on the Rockefeller Center tree and the all the wreaths on the Waldorf-Astoria on Park Avenue.

A magical night in a magical city.

No comments: