Thursday, December 4, 2008

My "Procedure."

Today was the day for my "procedure."  Why do we now say this instead of surgery, doctor appointment, whatever?  "Procedure" sounds so illicit.  Every time people say "procedure" I think either tummy tuck, eye lift, abortion, or syphilis removal.   I just do.   

And I think once you start saying it, it just makes you immediately "of a certain age" and one that you are never coming back from - no matter how many procedures you have. 

My "procedure" was to have the receding gums in my lower front covered with a graft taken from the roof of my mouth. 

Since the appointment was made right away and I was told it would only take an hour and I could pay for it on my credit card, I thought 'Drive Through" as in this is nothing.   I was going to meet a friend for lunch and then go to the gym after and then run some errands. 

What part of they are going to shoot you with a million needles all over the place and CUT a whole piece of the roof of your mouth off and SEW it to the front of your lower gums did I not really hear?

This was involved.  I was spitting up blood and numb and slurping/drooling. The pain started almost immediately after I left the office.   They gave me a prescription for vicodin.   

There was no lunch. There was no gym. There were no errands.  

I was home and in pain trying to check out by watching a movie. I then finally got up and and went and allowed myself to get COLD soft serve ice cream from Zabars counter.  Weight Watchers be damned.   Forget vicodin addiction. But I could get addicted to this amazing custard ice cream soft serve. Doctors orders! It was lovely and cold going down. 

I napped finally. 

I had a screening to go to tonight with my friend Aris. It was "Doubt" and Meryl and Amy and Phillip Seymour and John Patrick and Viola were all there for the Q & A.  And my mouth was throbbing. I was in so much pain on the train tonight.  I think Meryl could have acted my pain. She is that good. 

I finally had to take a vicodin which I was avoiding.  Hopefully I will sleep like a hopped up, disfigured, butterfat baby tonight. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Honey,

Since you're writing about teeth, I have to ask: How is your toothbrush? I hope the bristles are soft, yet erect, and ready to gently stimulate your soon-to-be healed gums. If not, time to go to one of those UWS Duane Reades. Promise?

Love and floss,

The Tooth Fairy