Monday, December 29, 2008

The Red Cat


Cheline and Hilary and Steve and I had "Christmas with the Cohens" at Steve and his wife Nhadine's house last Christmas. It was a wonderful vegetarian multi-cultural, multi-religious gathering of folk in Brooklyn. I loved it. It was where I got my Rabbi juice glass. Another story written about way back in this blog. Steve has since had a baby and the rest of us have not.

We met for dinner at The Red Cat on 10th Avenue in Chelsea.

I think I like the coziness of dining in the Winter. Friends, food and coziness. I guess I like dining in the Summer months too. And the Autumn and Spring can be good as well. So I am full of crap, but the coziness and root veg vibe appeals to me. It has a sharing/caring tone that the other seasons seem to lack. I think at least. I should try writing about this in July and see how I feel out at a table by the beach with old friends and summer fruit and ripe tomatoes and watermelon and red onion.

Maybe it is just the friends and the food. Clothing optional. As in weather-specific.

I had the lovely special of roast suckling pig over beans and white cranberries. And salad of bitter greens as a starter. I will remember it all especially the salad. There was wine. I wanted some. I hated that. But I enjoyed my NYC tap water as it complemented the greens quite well.

But the company was the most important and it is did not disappoint. Aren't I supposed to say/feel that anyway? But it didn't! Some very smart folk and we got to talk about politics and finance and Beyonce was only briefly mentioned to offset the bitter greens of the economy.

But most of all we had a nice laugh and an appreciation of breaking bread together over the holidays with the anticipation and promise of a new year.

Maybe it is that that other seasons lack.

No comments: