Saturday, May 3, 2008

Man. Hat. In.'s 1st Guest Blogger

Today at Man. Hat. In. we have a guest blogger. Our first ever.

My sister Eileen reports from San Francisco on EcoGreenEnviro fun and I hope you are all GREEN with envy.

**************

When my brother asked me if I would like to attend a screening and reception for “Big Ideas for a Small Planet” at the Sundance Kabuki Theatre in San Francisco with some of my friends, my mind went into planning overdrive. I am a multi-tasker. Along with “There are two sides to every story”, “Nothing beats the high of killing two or more birds with one stone” will surely appear as my epitaph.

Sis and my co-worker, Katie who made it all happen.

This innocent invitation presented me with the following possibilities:
Career building – networking for my future career in the green economy
Sharing this green networking opportunity with green minded friends
Fixing up my green minded friends romantically without their knowledge
Inviting along a supportive cast of friends in on the “green set up” to evaluate its success. Project code name is IPO (Introduction of People Opportunity)

Extending a hot ticket to friends who appreciate cutting edge entertainment, hanging out with the show’s stars and producers, green goodie bags, gourmet green appetizers, and fabulous Benzinger biodynamic wine – oooh the feather in my cap, social maven move - not bad for a middle-aged working mom. And all this for FREE!!!


Eileen with Laura and Katie.

Meeting my NYC transformed brother through his colleagues’ eyes. I remember all of their smiling: “You’re Patrick’s sister?” faces (I wish I were that likable). The only name I know for sure belongs to the super nice, Public Relations Sr. Director, Katie Lanegran (the Midwest makes intelligent and kind people who belong in Public Relations– maybe we should elect someone from Illinois for president???).


Eileen works her magic once again. People love that girl!


So, did Eileen succeed in her multi-tasking ploy? Did she hit every bull’s-eye with the knowing grin of the Grinch (which is exactly how I look when I’m scheming)? NO, NO, and NOOOO. The hot, green venture capitalist guy never met the gorgeous green architect (a back-burner deal jumped to the front burner on a Monday night. What are the odds, folks???). A supporting cast member called it off when her baby-sitter arrived home hammered after drinking all day at the Giant’s opener. Finally, the back up bachelor (yes, IPO was that prepared) was informed too late in the evening to get across the Bay Bridge, shower, and show up on time.

Looking back on the evening, I forgot to be grateful for what was. We all had a super time. My friends were enthusiastic and grateful for the experience. They asked great questions during the Q&A with Simran Sethi. Finally, I am so proud of my brother for being a wonderful person wherever he goes doing whatever he does.
*********************

(Ed. Thank you Eileen for an excellent report. I have no idea what I do, but I do know I do it well! Thanks for that. And clearly you did it well too! )

No comments: