Monday, May 26, 2008

The Bronx Riviera


Front and Center

While you were all BBQing or trying to get your shrink to take your calls on a holiday, I was playing parades in honor of our fallen.

The best part of the day was the parade on City Island in the The Bronx.


Notice not noticing me. I am taking the photo.

Here is what the historical society says about the place which I could not have said better:

City Island is a small community at the edge of New York City located just beyond Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx and surrounded by the waters of western Long Island Sound and Eastchester Bay. With Execution Light to the northeast and Stepping Stones Lighthouse to the south, City Island has a rich nautical history, much of it preserved by the Historical Society and Nautical Museum.

It really felt like being so far away, and New Englandy all at the same time. Before the parade started we ate at Sammy's Fish Box. This an all kinds of wrong name, but the food was great. I had scallops that were out of this world. I am still thinking about them. We marched down the main street to enthusiastic crowds and played at two cemeteries and a flag pole. It was all quite moving and I was happy to be a part of it. One of the cemeteries overlooks Hart Island where "Potter's Field" is. This is where the city buries the unidentified dead and there are probably around 800,000 bodies out there.

Not to be associated at all with the above paragraph, but at the end of the parade the Elks or Moose or VFW had hot dogs and beer and soda for everyone. It was a great hang in the street and I love that rules and regs and ordinances have not arrived everywhere.


The Finish Line

All in all a good day. Great to hang out with the band and get to know everyone more. I look forward to the season ahead.

2 comments:

Criticlasm said...

OMG--look at you all tall and out in front! Nice job

Lexa said...

You star!! That pic is so hot. I feel like I'm your mom and I'm so proud of you. You should put that pic up on Facebook. Are you coming to LA so we can have coffee at Urth?