Friday, May 30, 2008

I'd Walk a Mile for a Camel


View Larger Map

I finally joined a gym. The walking in New York is abundant, but so are the bagels, b & w cookies, ice cream and cheese. My Scottish side wanted to stay fit through free stuff like stretching whilst waiting for the train, running from muggers, and helping old ladies with their bags up the stairwells, etc. There were just not enough agreeable old ladies to offset the Zabars purchases.

So I went TWO BLOCKS from my home to tour the New York Sports Club. This is what they call the Starbucks of Gyms here as they are instant and everywhere. You can get a workout in all over the city. Lots of equipment, classes and location, location, location. After my tour on the way to get a pain au chocolat from Zabar's, I thought, "Hmmm? I may want to swim on occasion. Maybe I better check out places with pools." "But this gym is RIGHT HERE!" The only solution was to eat and think some more.

I decided on the way to the movies today that I would check out the Westside Y. It is 17 blocks from where I live and cannot even compete on the convenient card with the NYSC, but it has a pool and after a wonderful tour given by Bernadette she had me at "Tennessee Williams premiered one of his plays in the theatre here." I am a sucker for character and history. I signed up for a summer deal and will try this out. I should post a before picture here to see if by Sept. 1 progress has been made.

Think of all the calories burned walking down to the gym from home and going "Naaahhh, I can't be bothered today" and turning around and walking home!

No comments: