Thursday, May 22, 2008

Indiana Jonsing.




Saw Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull last night with my pal Nancy. She wore a brown leather Indiana Jones hat she got in Buenos Aires and she looked H-O-T. She was totally being checked out. Anyway, I loved the film. It was fun, exciting, funny and with the return of Karen Allen, heartwarming and reassuring. It did the trick.

Nothing will EVER hold the same memory/feeling I had when I saw the first film, however. That was an eye-opening rollercoaster ride of fun, magic and storytelling. From the opening frame until the end. It was in fact life changing. I think that and seeing Mercy High School's production of "Hello Dolly" when I was in 8th grade were two major events for me. I knew there was something about me in each of them. Those two moments had me hooked and frozen. (Oh and Silly Wizard's album "So Many Partings" and my first John Burgess album oh and that Triumph Street album. )

I say frozen because I knew that all those things that I so deeply responded to were part of me to my soul yet I would spend years struggling with how to express myself in "that way." I was too frightened to give in to finding the arc of the covenant that may lie within magical telling, musical theatre, folk music and bagpipes. I never allowed that that stuff was fully for me or I, it. I thought other people far away did all those things. Like in Hollywood or Canada. And in many ways I was right, but I never accepted that I could GO to those places and DO those things.

Wait a minute. I went to New York to dance, I went to Hollywood to be in film/TV I went to Scotland to play pipes. Where do I get off. It is just aging thought/wank because I never succeeded on whatever level I presume to think I should have that I negate that. But really, I feel I only sent my body. The rest of me would never go into those scary chambers. I could not allow it.

But no matter what I think or think I know, I know I am a fan. An appreciator. And this new film was just the ticket. It was a great ride.

1 comment:

Lexa said...

Very excited for the return of Karen Allen! I am expecting big things.

The other week I walked into the Gower Gulch Starbucks (SCARY!) just as Harrison Ford was walking out. Weird! He is tall. He did not hold the door for me. Ah.