Thursday, May 8, 2008

Judi Dench



You ever have those days when everyone around you starts to look like Dame Judi Dench? They say it happens to us all sooner or later and today was mine. There I was walking down my own only semi-moderately celeb-laden street when I see Judi Dench out of the corner of my eye. Except it wasn't her. That is the thing; it never is. You don't actually see her, you just think you see her. It is an easy mistake when silver hair in a nice cut and a floral print scarf perfectly flounced over a smart blazer is everywhere in New York City.



"Judi, Judi, Judi" I want to say, but it is just too on the nose. At least people around me who have been through it would totally know what I was going through.



I went down in the subway by the Museum of Natural History at 81st and Central Park West to catch the B Train and the platform is loaded with this English sorceress! They must have been having an early Judi Dench Convench in the park today. This is easily written off as loads of Judi-age grandmas take their grandkids to the museum and the park. Clearly where I was is rife for Judillusions. I am sure the frequency is much higher here than say the East Village or Tampa. Judy wouldn't be caught dead in Tampa.
There you have it. I just had to say I had a spell of the Judi's and it was okay. It isn't quite like that feeling of someone walking on your grave. It is more like you keep turning your head from side to side and you can feel your own mum telling you not to stare. You feel excited and reprimanded all at the same time. Very English, I think.